Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Sholk Road Adventures

Welcome to my blog! My name is Dena Sholk and I am studying International Politics with a concentration in International Security in the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. I am proficient in French. I also possess a healthy obsession with Central Asia. More specifically, I am interested in the five Central Asian Republics (also called the "stans): Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. People frequently ask me "why Central Asia?" While I can't pin-point an exact reason, all I can say is that I am absolutely fascinated with the region's politics, history, culture and development!

I am looking forward to finally have the opportunity to travel to the silk road of antiquity!! I will be spending two months studying Russian at KIMEP and living with a Kazakh host family in Almaty, Kazakhstan this summer! I will regularly update this blog with the details of my adventures abroad, from drinking kumys to exploring the city of Almaty (and beyond) and maybe even riding a bactrian camel!

This leads me to the name of the blog - "The Sholk Road Adventures."Sholk means silk in Russian, so the title literally means "The Silk Road Adventures."

I will also use this blog to comment on current events in Central Asia!

I'm now in the heat of final exam season, so back to the books! So long comrades!

No comments:

Post a Comment