Friday, June 15, 2012

Verbs of Motion, Here We Come!

Comrades,


Alas, my summer travels will begin shortly! On Monday, I return to the beloved District of Columbia for pre-departure orientation and then jet-off to Vladimir on Wednesday. I will be participating in the U.S. Department of State Critical Language Scholarship program where I will live with a host family and study Russian at the KORA Russian Language Center. The program will certainly be intense, but I am looking forward to hilarious host family stories and immersion experiences.




With that said, please note the following disclaimer.


DISCLAIMER: My blog does not represent the official views of the U.S. Government, the Department of State, Georgetown University or American Councils. I, Dena Sholk, am responsible for all opinions and information presented on "The Sholk Road Adventures."




It will also be interesting to compare my experiences in Almaty with those in Vladimir.  Vladimir is a historic city located in the Golden Ring. The city includes three UNESCO world heritage sites including the Golden Gates, the Assumption and the St. Demetrius Cathedrals. While it is neither a Central Asian nor Turkic city, Vladimir is historically important in forging the Slavic culture and identity. I am really looking forward to gaining insights into how Russians view their history, and comparing their perceptions of nationality, statehood and the Soviet Union and with the views of their Central Asian counterparts. 


Alas, it will be an exciting summer of cultural exchange. But for now, I shall pack. Пока!

No comments:

Post a Comment