Sunday, August 5, 2012

Interesting Russian Graffiti

It has been a busy and enjoyable weekend! Friday I went to the Dacha to celebrate Olga's 59th birthday, which was a lot of fun. Saturday and Sunday were extremely productive days in which I "TCBed" (Took Care of Business). Olga also taught me how to make borsch. 

While I don't have time to write about the Dacha right now, I wanted to share a really interesting wall graffiti I saw on my way home the other day. It says "Papa, don't drink" in Russian. There is a big cultural taboo associated with alcohol and drinking. Sadly, it is not uncommon for couples to divorce and the husband to become an alcoholic. This topic is too dense for me to cover in one post, and there are people who are much more well informed than I am, but I thought the cultural and moral message of this wall art was interesting and wanted to share with you. What are your thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment