Saturday, April 20, 2013

Distinguishing Kyrgyzstan from Kazakhstan

Comrades,

First, congratulations to all the people of Boston, the FBI and Boston police!

I will refrain from commenting on the events given the dearth of information, and the unclear nature of the information already disclosed.

Last spring semester, I was a Teaching Assistant for the SFS course "Map of the Modern World," so I'm a bit of a stickler for geography. One issue I repeatedly say on twitter yesterday is the fact that Americans generally do not know their geography. So much so, that the Czech ambassador to the United States issued a statement last night clarifying the difference between "Czech republic" and "Chechnya."

I have seen many people confuse "Kyrgyzstan" and "Kazakhstan," which is apparently an all too frequent issue. I will leave it to Stephen Colbert to clarify the difference:


Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment