Saturday, April 11, 2015

Upcoming Adventure to Kazakhstan

Comrades,

I'm wishing you all a very delayed Happy Nauryz! And I have exciting news. After spending some nine months away from my beloved Kazakhstan, I'm excited to share that I will be heading back for a short visit. Just a few days, but still a visit. I'm grinning from ear to ear as I'm writing this post.

As some of you may know, Kazakhstan will have Presidential elections on Sunday, April 26. I will be covering the elections as a member of the media, writing for The Sholk Road Adventures. I decided to take the trip because I am largely fed up with the lack of in-depth analysis of politics in Kazakhstan. Of course, there are some really phenomenal businessmen, scholars and analysts who have a thorough understanding of the region -- but their voices are often muted by the talking heads. My mission for this blog has always been, and always will be, to use my personal experiences to provide insights, and context, to the events in the region. It is important to understand local culture, recent and ancient history, and institutions, before drawing conclusions as to a country's political and economic development.

Between now and the elections, I'll be updating the blog with relevant information, and of course will be writing and tweeting while over there, and after the elections.

I invite you, readers, colleagues, friends, to share questions and comments with me before my trip. I am also open to areas for collaboration.

That's all for now. But I'm excited to get back on the road! Kazakhstan, I'm coming for ya!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment